Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Ludlowe Baseball 2023 In The Books

Team huddle after a scrimmage last week (Photo: Jennifer Gibson) 

Every year I seem to write something on the Ludlowe baseball season when the season ends. Well, here I am again. 

Our (and as I coach on staff, I think I can say "our") season came to on Tuesday in the first round of the state tournament with a 4-3 loss to Hamden*. 

*As I noted on Twitter and Instagram, it was cool to coach against kids who were on the Hamden Little League team that Rob Adams and I had fun covering in 2020. 

The season started strong as we started 4-0 and 6-1, before a tough stretch, losing four straight. After that, there was a lot of back and forth. Some great wins and tough losses. 

Included in those tough losses, was a 10 inning loss to Warde. It was a tremendous baseball game. One of best games I've seen. As long as I'm working at both schools, that game will always be weird for me. I've written about this many times, so I'll leave it at that. 

There were also some great wins, including Greenwich twice, New Canaan and Danbury, to name a few off the top of my head. 

We finished with an 11-9 regular season record which earned us a state tournament berth, just missing out on making the FCIAC tournament. 

There's always things that go on that make every season interesting, and this year was no different. Great moments, tough moments and special moments, among other things. 

Even in the game on Tuesday, there was a moment that was one of my favorite moments of the season. A special moment. It was about more than sports. I could write more. However, I'm being vague on purpose as it's not my story to tell. I've probably said too much already. 

It's about the bonds with the players, my fellow coaches, the families, and so many others. It goes beyond baseball. 

We hosted Fairfield American Day and that was a great event for our team, FALL and the community. Wins are great, but building an image is also something very special. 

I had fun filling in for our JV coach for a game and coaching that game. My goal was just to not mess things up, which from that aspect, made it successful. However, I know they didn't get the same experience they get when the JV coach is there. We make things work though, however we can. 

Lots of fun with a great coaching staff this year, that I am grateful to be a part of. Head Coach Ken Geriak, Bob Maffei, Vin Riccio, Tommy Howell and Chris Howell. 

I hate it when the season is over. There's still other sports to watch this spring. There will be sports to watch and work this summer (starting tomorrow) and then we will be back at it with high school sports in the Fall and do it all over again. That being said, there is something special about Ludlowe baseball. 

I'm already excited for next season. Our juniors and sophomores got a lot of experience this year and last year, which can only bode well for the future. They are also a tremendous group of kids. 

Another season in the books. 

Falcon Pride! 

No comments:

Post a Comment