Monday, May 15, 2023

Integrity

Integrity: the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

I'd like to think I have high integrity, whether that come in work, coaching, or life in general. If anything, I think I am sometimes too honest and do things "by the book" too much. 

This is not a bad thing. Just means I don't get an advantage others might. 

Two things I am passionate about, sports and journalism, integrity is important in. 

In sports, it's not cheating. It's playing the game the right way. It's playing hard and not playing "dirty." It's coaching the game by the rules. 

Depending on the sport and the level, it's more likely for more dishonesty. When there's more on the line, there might be more stretching of honesty. This is not right. I'd rather lose being honest then win by cheating. And I hate losing.  

Integrity comes from the top. If a head coach/manager/leaders of team have integrity, it's more likely the players and the rest of the team will as well. 

Integrity brings people together. It's unifying, which is so important when it comes to being part of a team, any type of team, sports or otherwise. 

Journalistic integrity is talked about all the time. Your sources need to be able to trust you. You need to write or talk about the facts in the correct way and not make things up. Make sure you cite sources. Don't take information from one person, especially another journalist, and act like it's yours. That's just not right. 

I know many journalists of high integrity. Unfortunately, I've seen the other side as well. 

This is the case with many different professions. 

Integrity shows a lot about ones character. 

Have high integrity. Good things will happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment