Saturday, June 3, 2023

Long Saturday Of Baseball

I always think, when the Ludlowe baseball season ends, my games will slow down. Most of the time, I'm wrong. I'm just at games in different capacities. 

Today, I was at two baseball games. 

First, I was at Warde as the Mustangs hosted Southington in the Class LL quarterfinals. It was a terrific baseball game, with Warde coming up with the 2-1 win on a base hit by freshman Jimmy Dobbs. 

Southington took a 1-0 lead in the third inning and the game remained that way until the sixth. 

Warde tied the game on a home run by Garrett Larsen in the sixth. The Southington left-fielder attempted to "rob" the homerun and went over the mesh fence. There was a lot of controversy surrounding the home run, whether it was a home run, a catch, or a ground rule double. It was controversial in terms of the umpires had to discuss it and both coaches had to get explanations. I'll be honest, from where I was standing, I couldn't see the play, so It wouldn't be fair for me to give an opinion. I've seen pictures but it's different in real time.

The game then remained tied until the bottom of the inning. Aidan Dowd reached on a leadoff walk. He moved to second on a bunt and third on a flyout. That left it up to Dobbs to be the hero. 


Warde will face Newington on Tuesday in the Class LL Semifinals. The time and location are to be determined.  

So after Warde it was over to Seaside Park for the Bridgeport Barnums of the Connecticut College Baseball League and the Danbury Westerners of the New England College Baseball League in a scrimmage. 

I am doing some social media/writing for the Barnums this summer. Lots of great players and coaches who are part of the team. Plenty of former Ludlowe and Warde players, among others. Today's scrimmage did not go in Bridgeport's favor, but it's just a scrimmage and early in a long season. 

More baseball tomorrow and during the week. Plus other work-related events. 

It's never boring. And that's a great thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment