Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Basketball Season

New floor this year in the Ludlowe gym

I'm sure I'm unfortunately going to make this post way too much about myself, when that's the exact opposite of what I want. As part of the blog, it seems to happen way too often. 

Seasons change. 

The actual season and sports seasons. 

We have finished the Fall high school sports season and are on to winter. 

Some sports are already underway and others start up tomorrow. 

For me, other than my real work with all the sports, that means being around Ludlowe boys basketball once again. 

Head Coach John Dailey calls me the "Director of Basketball Operations." 

Every year I tell John you can tell me he doesn't want me around, or at least as much, but he always tells me to keep coming around. I love it. 

Great coaches and great kids. I'm excited to watch this group this year. A good mix of upperclassman and younger guys who will be out there competing every day. Lots of great athletes and even better people who I enjoy being around. 

But what do I really do? A lot of different things. 

Helping the coaches, players, team managers and others. Just doing whatever is needed. 

Whether that means running the clock, getting equipment out and set up, or jumping into a drill. Those are just a few of the things I might be doing on a daily basis. 

Then during games, it might be doing the clock or scorebook, during varsity and/or junior varsity and freshman games. Or it could be more of just watching and being around if needed. Sometimes, especially for sub-varsity, it's sitting on the bench and helping out in ways there. Often that is just talking to players, in good time and bad, when they come out of a game. 

Some of the same things I did when I was the student manager and some other things as well. I really try not to overstep on the current managers just because I have certain ways of doing things, but I try to teach and help out however I can. 

Then sometimes it's doing things behind the scenes such as making copies, making film reservations, etc. I also end up being the photographer for random group photos when they aren't being taken by parents or professional photographers. 

As I said I was afraid I would, I've made this way too much about me when it's about the players. I just enjoy helping out any way I can. 

Once basketball ends, it will be baseball season. There could even be some overlap. Looking forward to all of it! 

See you in late June! 

Time to get going! 

No comments:

Post a Comment