Sunday, December 3, 2023

Supporting Friends

We could call this another edition of "Adventures of Shawn."

All season I said I wanted to try to get to a Newtown game to support my guy Dan Farina, who is in his first year as the head coach there. 

However, due to conflicts with Ludlowe games, there were very few options and I hadn't been able to make it yet. 

Until Sunday. 

I decided I would go to their Class L state semifinal game versus Darien at Newtown High School. 

All week people were trying to get me to come, and I figured I should. I made more of a fuss about reasons not to do than I should have. 

The drive, the rain, buying a ticket, etc. 

Of course I would pick the game where it rained throughout. 

But it was good for me to get out of my comfort zone a bit. 

Driving to Newtown was something new as I was on roads I had never driven myself. Normally I stick to the Fairfield County FCIAC schools to go to, with a few exceptions. 

The drive there and back, while using my GPS, was fine, with the exception of my tire pressure light coming on about five minutes from the school. It was also raining so we had to deal with that for the travel. 

We'll get the tire figured out. Hoping it's just because of the cold. Seems to happen on some of my longer drives in the winter the last couple of years. 

I also had to purchase a ticket, which is fine. 

However, it's not something I am used to. Honestly it might be one of the first times I have ever purchased a ticket for a high school sporting event. Normally, I am either working the game, covering the game, on the comp list, or have access just do to my job and knowing people. Here I was just a fan. 

I'm sure reading this, you are like, why are you telling us this. It's just part of the story. 

As I've said previously, I am not good at being just a fan. I always feel like I need to be doing something and cannot just sit in the stands. If I am just watching, I need to be standing up against a fence and often walking around. 

Thankfully, I was there with Sara Kinley, Mel Sulich, Craig DeAngelis and others so we were able to talk while watching the game. I also Tweeted (Or X'd?) updates, because that's what I do. I just followed their lead and hung out in the end zone with them. 

A different view for me watching a game, but it was also about hanging with friends, while supporting others. 

The rain was constant throughout most of the game. However, heavier at times. 

I was prepared with a rain jacket with a hood, booths and an umbrella, but for some reason, didn't decide to use the umbrella until the second half. By that time, I was soaked. Oh well. It's all part of the fun. 


Basically our view for the game

It was weird for me to be rooting for a non-FCIAC team against an FCIAC team, but I support my friends. 

Ok, I've buried the lede (or lead) of how the game went on the field. Darien came away with a 21-0 lead and will play New Canaan next weekend in the Class L Championship. 

Despite the loss, congrats to Dan and the Nighthawks on a terrific season. Tremendous first season with a lot of exciting times in the future. 

Happy I was able to be there to support, despite the result. 

Also, congrats to Tommy Howell, an assistant at Joel Barlow on their state semifinal win and advancing ot the state championship. 


No comments:

Post a Comment