Saturday, November 18, 2023

Busy Week

The captains meeting prior to the FYF game

I thought this past week was going to be a relatively quiet week. 

Most fall sports were done and winter sports have not started yet. 

It was anything besides quiet. 

Let's go through it. All of this is in addition to normal work. 

Honestly, most of you won't care about what I'm rambling about, but sometimes it's just about writing for myself and to talk about experiences. 

Monday was our winter coaches meeting at Ludlowe. 

While I don't have to be at this, I try to go and help and it also makes my life easier when it comes to the work I have to do after the meeting related to what takes place at the meeting. Also, if coaches have questions for me, sometimes it's easier to handle in person. 

Tuesday Warde hosted St. Joseph and Staples girls soccer in the state semifinals and I was at the ticket table. I know some people don't like it, but I love that tickets are only only and we don't need to worry about taking cash. Now, sometimes, technology issues are a problem, but we figure it out. 

As for the game, Staples took a 2-0 lead before St Joe's came from behind to win 4-3. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but that was a terrific soccer game between two great teams. 

Wednesday was more soccer as the Ludlowe boys played Hall in the state semifinals at Waterbury's Municipal Stadium complex. 

We had a fan bus so as the Nest Advisor, and the fact that I said sure, I was the adult chaperone for the fan bus. It was interesting. 

The game did not go in Ludlowe's favor as Hall came away with the 1-0 win, in what was a very well played game by both teams. I wrote about this on Wednesday, so I don't need to say the same thing again. 

Thursday was the coaches meeting at Warde, so it was much like Monday's meeting at Ludlowe. 

Friday was a new experience, in a way. 

After the last Ludlowe home football game on November 3, I thought I was done with the scoreboard for football for the season. Well, not so much. 

I was asked to work the scoreboard for the Fairfield Youth Football 8th grade championship game vs Greenwich, which took place at Ludlowe. 

Fairfield came away with the 44-22 victory. Fun to watch them all but especially the kids I know somewhat like Drew Kane, Dylan Toothaker, Ryan Saja and Matthew Keating, just to name a few. 

The whole night was a cool scene. In addition to the scoreboard, they had the PA system, as well as a DJ. They wanted to make it have a big time feel for the kids, which I am always a fan of. 

I was happy for the opportunity and it's always good to network and make connections. Thanks to Mitch Ross, Brendan Sullivan for their help and for asking. 

Nice to work with Mike Donovan and Rob Kaminsky, who were in the booth doing public address. Great to see former Ludlowe athletic trainer Sydney Ciuffo, who was covering the game. 

In addition to the scoreboard, it was somewhat of a site director role, just in terms of running the booth, as well as cleaning up the pylons and chains from the field after the game 

Saturday I was asked and said I would do the scoreboard for the Ludlowe/Warde JV football game. 

I wanted to be nice and give the kids the scoreboard as part of the experience. Parents asked so why not. The fact that it was Ludlowe/Warde made it more of a reason to do it, not that I wouldn't have done it regardless. With the new scoreboard setup, it's more of a process, but happy we were able to make it work. 

Ludlowe came away with the 36-13 win. 

I mention all these things that went on this week and there were even some things I couldn't be at. Sometimes, just too much going on and too many variables. 

Now it's on to Thanksgiving football and then winter sports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment