Friday, July 28, 2023

Boys Of Summer 2023

Barnums Team Photo (Missing some)

Summer's over. 

Ok, it's not actually over. 

Just summer baseball coverage for me. As far as I am concerned though, that means summer is over. Get me to Fall and Fall sports. Or even better, get me to basketball and baseball season, selfishly. 

The baseball coverage consisted of The Bridgeport Barnums, Fairfield Legion and Babe Ruth. I wish there was more and I am always open to any opportunities (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram @ShawnSailer). 

The Barnums were my main coverage, as they were the actual "job" for the summer. That's not to say I cared about any less of the others, it's just when there were conflicts, the Barnums took priority. 

The Barnums were in their inaugural season and are part of the Connecticut College Baseball League (CCBL). Members of the team (and league) are those who are playing baseball in college or recent high school graduates who are planning to play in college. 

My work with the Barnums consisted of GameChanger scorekeeping during games, Instagram and writing game stories after, along with whatever else was needed. I enjoyed doing post-game video interviews with the players, as they got to have some fun and even more promotion. 

The Bridgeport team consists of players from Fairfield, Bridgeport and other surrounding Fairfield County towns including Darien, Trumbull and Easton.  Fun to watch the guys I already knew from Ludlowe, Warde and Prep and get to know others. 

The Barnums had a strong season, making it to the CCBL semifinals in year one. Terrific job by the coaching staff of manager Chris Bugyi and coaches Jim Chaves and Mark Keeney and everyone involved. 

I was also able to get to watch some of the Fairfield Legion team. Not as much as I wanted due to conflicts, but tried to get to as much as possible. It was mostly just watching and not too much coverage, but coverage where I could. Wish it could have been more. The kids deserve the coverage. Lots of current Ludlowe and Warde players on the team. Great group who played hard, despite the results not being what they wanted. Great job by the coaches and staff involved here. 

I've already written about the Babe Ruth broadcasting Rob Adams and I did in Trumbull. Rob went on to broadcast the New England Regional in North Providence, Rhode Island, which Trumbull won. Good luck to them in the World Series. 

It seems sort of odd that it's all over before August, but that's the way it is. 

It was a fun summer. Love covering the athletes, coaches and teams. Getting to know and talk with the families is also something that makes it enjoyable. 

We will see what next summer brings. 

On to high school sports. 

But first....

Enjoy the rest of the summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment