Sunday, July 2, 2023

Local Baseball Weekend

Ed Hogan delivers a pitch during the Barnums doubleheader on Saturday

It was a busy weekend of local baseball. 

Four games. Two doubleheaders. 

I'm doing some media work for the Bridgeport Barnums, who are in their first year as a team. They are a member of the Connecticut College Baseball League. Their home games are at Seaside Park, Diamond 1, which is the home of University of Bridgeport. 

My role with them is basically to keep score via GameChanger, run the Instagram and write game stories. It's fun to watch a lot of the former Ludlowe baseball players I know, many I am close with. 

In addition, the team also includes former Warde players, as well as players from other schools and towns. 

Due to conflicts and vacation, I hadn't been able to get to any games in a couple of weeks. Everyone was great about me missing*, but I felt bad, due to my care about commitment. 

*I was told by a couple of players, jokingly, that I was the reason they were on a four-game losing streak. They split the Doubleheader. You can go here to read the game story

On Sunday, I went to watch the Fairfield Legion team play. That team in mostly made up of current Ludlowe players, so I enjoy watching those guys, as well as others I've gotten to know. 

While I was involved from a media perspective with them the last couple of years, due to the Barnums role (they have some affiliation due to management), I haven't gotten to that many games this year. 

That being said, I've tried to get to games when I can. While the results haven't been great team-wise, good group of kids working hard and getting better. 

I want to watch all of Ludlowe guys, regardless of summer program, but watching the Legion team is easy, as it's so local. I've been following other guys on other programs via social media. 

I don't want to rush summer and all of the others sports for everyone, but excited for the spring of 2024. I'm sure I'll say this on many other posts going forward. 

There will be more Barnums, Legion, and likely some other baseball in the coming weeks. 

It's always a good day watching baseball. 

No comments:

Post a Comment