Thursday, July 13, 2023

2023 Babe Ruth Baseball

A tradition like no other. Babe Ruth baseball on Robcasting Radio. 

I'm paraphrasing, but that is how Rob Adams opened last Saturday's first broadcast of the 2023 14U Connecticut Babe Ruth State Tournament at Unity Park in Trumbull. 

This is the the seventh tournament Rob has done since 2015, and I've been a part of at least some every year. From the first year on HAN, to the others on Robcasting (one before it was technically Robcasting). Always a blast. Always appreciate Rob having me, for what I bring, and despite what I don't bring to the broadcast. Thanks for having me, Rob. 

This year I believe was the most I was able to join for, missing half of two games on Sunday and missing the championship tonight. It went from me just hanging to chiming in a little on air, to now being Rob's only color person. Times change, and that's ok. 

Rob is terrific at "Scullying" (flying solo) and although he says he likes me around, he's definitely better with me not there or off-air. There's no ego from me about needing to be on air. I'll hang, or do whatever. 

What frustrates me, and I don't say much on the air, but the times I do, I noticed myself multiple times stepping on Rob's call. I started to talk as Rob was about to say something.  And I know that's not a good thing for the color analyst to do. But Rob is great and doesn't throw me out of the booth (or mute my mic, which sometimes he probably should!). Please note, I am yelling at/picking on myself. 

I've probably talked too much about the broadcast. 

It's about the athletes, coaches and families, and that is what makes it so fun. Watching these terrific athletes, and getting to know the families. 

Congrats to Waterford, who won the title, 5-1 in the championship over the host Trumbull. Both teams will be headed to the New England Regional in North Providence, Rhode Island as Connecticut sends the top two teams. 

A lot of these players, especially on both Trumbull and Waterford, we have seen for a couple years now. That makes it even more fun. Watching players like Matt Shampine and Colby Sheehan for Waterford, along with the likes of Luke McDermott, Ryan DeMelo, JJ Scavone  on Trumbull and many others is just so special. This is not to take take away from anyone who I didn't name or any players on other teams. These are just off the top of my head. Great players who, from what we see and hear, seem to be great kids. 

I say this all the time, it's about more than baseball. It's about relationships you build. With teammates, coaches, other teams, parents and so much more. It becomes a family atmosphere. 

Great job by everyone in the booth who did a terrific job all tournament. From the Babe Ruth officials, to the many parent volunteers. I'm not going to name people here because I know I will miss people. A huge thanks and job well done to Mike Buswell, who not only coaches the Trumbull team, but played a huge role in the whole tournament. 

Good luck to both teams in the Regionals! You will represent CT well. 

Rob's broadcasting of Babe Ruth baseball is not done for the summer. He's headed to Rhode Island as well to broadcast. I can't make it, but I will be listening as much as possible and "executively produce" from the CT office.  

No comments:

Post a Comment