Friday, April 14, 2023

Scorekeeping




Scorekeeping in sports, especially baseball, is very personal. It's an art, if you will. 

People have different notations for the same event, and each scorecard is different. 

I know when I read other scorebooks, I don't always know what each note means, and I'm sure people feel the same when they read the scorebooks I do. In fact, I know people don't always understand my notations. 

Everyone has scorebooks they prefer. I have one I like, but I've gotten used to having to use different formatted ones. 

They are all so different and have items in different locations or some have more or less possible information. 

Some people are tougher scorekeepers, some people are easier. 

I am definitely a tough scorekeeper. Today, and other times recently, I was called "the hit Grinch."  This is due to the fact that I call things errors that other people feel are hits. 

The thing is, I've gotten a lot easier. I used to be much tougher. Those who know my scorekeeping now probably find that hard to believe.  

An example is defensive indifference. I used to give this rather than a stolen base often if it were technically defensive indifference 

I've done baseball scorecards or scorebooks for in many different capacities. As a student-manager, as a coach, as a reporter, as a media/communications guy for a team, and I'm sure I even did the book some as a player.  

I'm going to call it how I see it, I'm not going to call something a a hit or error or whatever just because it would benefit "my team" or a player I like. 

Sure, if it's very close and could go either way, maybe I give the benefit of the doubt. Occasionally, I'm feeling very nice, but not as often as the players would like. 

I also don't change my way of thinking depending on who I'm doing the book for.

Some people might like how I scorebook. 

Others hate it. 

It's my way. 

Everyone has their own. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment