Friday, April 7, 2023

Baseball Season

I love the high school sports I get to work with. I love watching all of them and supporting the student-athletes, coaches and everyone else on the teams. (Belated Happy National Student-Athlete Day, which was yesterday). 

However, everyone knows what Ludlowe basketball and Ludlowe baseball mean to me. A lot. 

Well, it's baseball season! 

We're two games into the regular season, sitting at 2-0, with our next game tomorrow at noon. 

It's been an interesting start to the year, with field issues to start the spring season. Good start on the field though so hopefully the winning ways continue and we have a fun, successful season. 

It's a pleasure to work with a great group of coaches and great kids. 

I enjoy being on the coaching staff and helping out our head coach, Ken Geriak, and the rest of the coaching staff, with both logistical items and giving input on on the field thoughts and ideas. 

When I can make myself useful doing actual baseball things, that's an added bonus. Getting a pitching machine helps so I can just feed baseballs into that. Also, I was able to help do some drills with our catchers at a practice. 

During the games, I do the scorebook, which I've done for years, going back to my days as a team manager. It used to be said that I was the hardest scorer out there. I'm still tough sometimes, but I've definitely gotten a lot easier and nicer when it comes to scoring decisions.  

Otherwise, it's a lot of "managing people." That can be in many different ways. Lots of talking on many different topics. It goes beyond the actual baseball. 

Despite what I said above, our job is to help these "kids" or young men as people and help them grow. 

Time to get ready for tomorrow's game and keep going on a good start to the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment