Thursday, April 20, 2023

Don't Mess Anything Up

Talking to our guys at third base during a Norwalk mound visit (Photo: Stacey Scruggs)

I obviously talk a lot about Ludlowe baseball and being on the coaching staff. 

Normally, I am with the varsity, doing a lot of the administrative side of things. 

On Wednesday, I got a new experience.  I had to fill in and coach the JV team. 

It was fun and nerve-racking. 

Fortunately, the kids played well and made it very easy for me. They are also a good, fun group which is very helpful also. 

It was cool to coach kids who I know and have seen play, especially those who we saw when Rob Adams and I broadcasted Fairfield American Little League in 2018, 2019 and 2020. There are some guys who were on those FALL teams who are on varsity and that's great too, but this was different. 

As for the game, we won 7-4 behind good pitching from Kieran Scruggs and Leo Hood and timely hitting from a number of people throughout the lineup. 

From a logistical standpoint, I had a couple subs to get in, and it made it easy that it was a Hood and a catcher, so I just swapped out the battery at once. 

It's also making sure I manage the kids. Make sure our pitchers are good and I don't throw them too much. Make sure people know their role in the game. I think this is where I do well because I care. Sometimes I care too much. 

I also told myself initially I was just going to let them do whatever they wanted at the plate or on the bases, then as the game was starting, I'm like, why, I know what I'm doing. So we stole bases, bunted runners over among other things. They hit the ball and got on base, which allowed me to have some fun.  

Honestly, I'm just happy I didn't mess anything up,* too much, as the title of the blog post says. I'm sure some players weren't happy with things I did or didn't do. I told them before the game play hard, and that they did.  

* I did get a runner thrown out at the plate trying to score from second on a base hit. Too aggressive on my end. Totally on me, 

I'm competitive and want to win, but I also realize it's JV and it's about getting them better so they can eventually get to be on varsity hopefully in the future. 

It was a good experience for me. 

Thanks to all the JV guys for dealing with me and for helping me out where needed. 

Back to my normal, more comfortable, role tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment