Sunday, October 16, 2022

Sports Sunday

Just like when I wrote about "National Coaches Day" recently, today is another "day."

Today is "National Sports Day."

Why is it today? What does it really mean? Couldn't every day be "National Sports Day?" 

Well it basically is for this sports-crazed person. However, I felt as such as such a sports obsessed person, I would acknowledge it. 

Sports are my life. My work. My hobbies. 

It terms of sports today, it was mixed bag for my rooting interest. 

First, the Packers lost to the Jets. I hate losses, against anyone. However, the last two weeks, with the Packers losing to the Giants and Jets, it's even worse for those of us living in the NY-Metro area. 

Just having to hear it from Giants and Jets fans and hearing the talk radio and local TV talk about the Giants and Jets winning is not fun. Listening to the game today on the Jets radio network was very interesting every time something went in the Jets favor. 

The Packers are 3-3. Aaron Rodgers doesn't look like he has in past years. Looks like he has lost arm strength. He also doesn't have a great receiving core around him. 

Luckily, the running backs, Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon have had success. If not, it could be much worse for Green Bay.

The nightcap of my sports day was much better. 

The Yankees defeated the Guardians in game four of the American League Division Series to force a winner-take-all game five on Monday night. 

Gerrit Cole pitched like the ace he is supposed to be. The Yankees bullpen got it done (unlike game three). Harrison Bader had another home run and the Yankees offense did just enough. 

There has been a lot of talk about Bob Costas, who is calling the series for TBS. Personally, I like Costas. I like broadcasters telling stories. Sure, there has been some odd things he has said, but overall I think he has been pretty good. 

Nobody is going to be happy with any broadcaster. Some will talk too much, some will scream, some will be boring, some will exaggerate everything and so many other things people won't like. 

For me, the broadcaster should tell what is happening in the game and also be entertaining. However, I want to be understand what is being said/happening. Especially on radio, but even on TV. 

I went more into broadcasting here than I wanted to. This could be a whole separate blog post. 

Anyways, to quote Jack Buck (yes, Jack said it before his son, Joe), "we will see you tomorrow night" for game five. 


No comments:

Post a Comment