Thursday, October 6, 2022

National Coaches Day

 


Every day of the year now is a "National something day." Some days are recognize for more than one item. 

Some of the National days are more significant and more recognized than others. Some are more fun and made up. 

Today, October 6, is National Coaches Day. According to nationaldaycalendar.com, National Coaches Day "honors the men and women who inspire us to work harder and do our best." 

So many coaches have been impactful to me in many ways. 

From the coaches who I played youth sports for. Baseball, basketball, even soccer. 

To the coaches who I managed high school baseball and basketball for. 

To the coaches I now coach with and work with. 

There are too many, especially while playing youth sports, to name. I don't want to forget anyone. 

I hope as a coach, I have made an impact on other coaches, the way they have made an impact I me. I hope I continue to. 

I hope as a coach I have and continue to have a positive impact on the student-athletes I coach. Both on field/in the gym and more importantly in life. 

Coaching is about much more than the X's and O's for what happens on the field or in the gym. It's about building lifelong friendships and making a positive impact on someone's life. So many people have been that for me, and I hope I have done that for others. 

It's about being there for and caring about others in tough times throughout life, as well as celebrating great moments. 

Yes, winning is fun. However, it's much more rewarding to have great people around you. Both fellow coaches and athletes. Being part of a team and coaches that ONLY care about winning can be unenjoyable also. 

I thank those coaches who I have had the honor and privilege of being coached by and coaching with, for teaching me so much, not just about sports, but life, and for a lot of them, becoming friends for life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment