Saturday, October 29, 2022

Friday Sports Frenzy

Friday was one of those fun days, at least for me, in working in local high school sports. 

The days are long, but I enjoy them. 

First up was a #OneTown FCIAC girls soccer quarterfinal matchup as Warde hosted Ludlowe in the fourth vs fifth seeded game at Tetreau-Davis Field. 

Personally, I wish Ludlowe and Warde didn't match up in the playoffs, because it's difficult for me working at both schools, but it's also great for the town. I feel like I say this same thing every time Ludlowe and Warde play. I was smart though, as I didn't wear anything Ludlowe or Warde. FCIAC hat with a Fairfield Babe Ruth sweatshirt and then a Fairfield Co-Op girls ice hockey jacket. I didn't feel like getting picked on from people at either school, depending on what I wore. 

I'm not a huge soccer person, but it was a terrific game played by both teams. Warde took an early 1-0 lead, Ludlowe tied it up, before Warde went ahead again before halftime. Then, Ludlowe tied it back up within the first 10 minutes of the second half. 

The game would remain tied through the rest of regulation. Thankfully, for someone like me who hates ties, there had to be a winner. 

The overtime rules for the playoffs were two ten minute periods played to their entirety (No sudden death/golden goal, whatever you want to call it). If the game is still tied, then the game would head to penalty kicks. 

Well, we game did in fact go to penalty kicks with Ludlowe coming out a winner, 4-3 in PK's. The game-winning PK was scored by sophomore Brooke Lynch. 

 

Ludlowe advances to the FCIAC semifinals where they will take on the top seed, St. Joseph, on Tuesday at 5pm at Warde. The Mustangs now await the state tournament. 

Next up for me on Friday was Ludlowe football, who was playing at Trumbull. 

Everyone knows I like to get everywhere early, so with the soccer game going so long, It was going to be tight to get to football on time. I initially thought I was going to have time to waste between the two games. 

Nope. I walked into Trumbull's McDougall Stadium with eight minutes to play in the first quarter, with the Eagles ahead 7-0. 

Ludlowe faces New Canaan next Friday at Dunning Stadium in New Canaan. The Falcons return home for a November 11 game against Bridgeport Central, before the Thanksgiving matchup with Warde, which takes place at Ludlowe this year. 

It was a crazy day and a long day, but it's days like this that I love. Even though all I was doing was Tweeting score updates and then writing this blog post, I sort of had that reporter/journalist feel in me, which I often miss. I didn't really have other responsibilities during the games (other than the Nest, which was small for both games) and since I knew people might be looking for score updates, I figured why not. Sorry to those whose Twitter feeds I cluttered. 

It will be a crazy week ahead with Ludlowe hosting the boys soccer semifinals and the girls volleyball semis and final and Warde hosting the girls soccer semifinals. 

Then it will be on to the state tournaments and fall sports will be over before we know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment