Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Missing Bobby

Bobby Murcer, former Yankee player and broadcaster, gone 14 years ago today. 

Bobby passed away on July 12, 2008, after battling brain cancer since December. 

I remember being at a family party. The party was outside in the yard but the game was on inside the house. I walked in when Bob Lorenz was announcing Bobby's passing on the post game show on the Yes Network following the Yankees game. 

There was reaction from many people, including, then-manager Joe Girardi, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Any Pettitte and Jason Giambi. 

I remember walking back out to the party and telling my dad and other family and friends. 

I've written about Bobby here before. 

He was a very good player, playing for the Yankees, as well as the Giants and Cubs. As is the name of his autobiography, he considered himself a "Yankee for Life." 

He was touted as "the next Mickey Mantle" and while he wasn't that, he deserves more recognition that he gets. He was one of a few stars during a bad stretch of Yankees baseball. 

Some highlight games include "The Thurman Munson game" in 1979 and his pinch-hit grand slam against Texas in 1981. 

Most people think about the game in '79 when after Murcer gave a eulogy at Munson's funeral, he told Billy Martin he needed to play. Not only did he play, but he drove in all five runs including a three-run home run and a walk-off two-run single. 

From his broadcasting side, he did games on PIX11, WNYW, and the YES Network. I always think of him with Michael Kay and Jim Kaat on the July 1, 2004 game vs the Red Sox. 

This game is better known as the "Jeter Dive" game where Jeter caught Trot Nixon's pop-up in shallow left field and his momentum took him into the stands. The game ended on John Flaherty's walk-off single.  

Bobby broadcasted from the day George Steinbrenner asked him to retire in 1983 (so the Yankees could bring up Don Mattingly) through basically the 2007 season as he was battling cancer. 

People always ask me why and how I got into liking Bobby, considering I never saw him play. Honestly, I'm not really sure. I enjoyed listening to him broadcast and he was a staple at Old Timers Day. 

I don't really remember when or how I got into liking him and then researching about him. I remember in Middle School doing a project on him but that was after he had passed away. 

I listened to him broadcast some games towards the end of his career, but more of the calls I have listened to are on Yankees Classics, or highlights online. 

I wish Bobby got the recognition he deserves publicly, but I am always happy to recognize and remember him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment