Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Legion Communications

For the second summer in a row, I was involved with Fairfield American Legion baseball as the communications director. 

What does that fancy title really entail? Well, handling social media including Twitter, Instagram, as well as doing GameChanger for the games, and then writing story recaps on a Blogger site that I created for Fairfield Legion. I've also sent my recaps in to Sean Barker of Hearst for publication in their chain, per the suggestion of Fairfield Legion General Manager Sars Ford. 

In terms of GameChanger, the last two summers are the first time I have used it. I am still a paper scorebook person, however, I see a lot of advantages of it. There are also some disadvantages, like some scoring decisions are tough to mark, as there don't appear to be unlimited options. It also is always running so drains phone battery and it's tough to Tweet, take photos and pretty much do anything else while doing GC. One major advantage is the detailed statistics it gives you automatically.  

In addition, I am currently working on a feature article related to a couple players. 

Sure, were there things I wish I did better or more of, yes. There were other things that we didn't do at all, that I wish we did. There are many items for me to think about to improve the public relations and promotion of the program going forward. 

The Senior (19U) team finished the regular season with an 11-10 record. They then entered the double-elimination state tournament by facing Hamden. They defeated Hamden 2-1 in 10 innings in the opening game of the tournament. They fell the next day to Greenwich in nine innings, 5-4. They would head back to Hamden facing elimination and their season came to a close with a 6-2 loss in the semifinals of the POD portion of the state tournament. 

The Junior (17U) team ended the regular season at 7-16. They then dropped back-to-back games to Stamford to conclude their season. 

It was fun getting to know a lot of people who I didn't know before (Warde and Prep students) and watch them play and watch the Ludlowe players I know more. There's too many guys to name without forgetting someone, but they are all great kids with bright futures. For those I coach at Ludlowe, I can't wait until the spring season to coach you. For those at Warde or Prep (or elsewhere, I think there's at least one), I look forward to coaching against you. And Ludlowe and Warde guys, stop by my office at the schools and say hi every now and then. 

It was also good to chat with some parents, the little bit I was able to. Lots of great parents supporting their children. 

Thank you to all the coaches for having me a part of it and for all your help. Chris Bugyi, Jim Chaves, Mark Keeney, Ethan Szabo and John Finan. Thanks to the aforementioned Sars Ford as well. There were other staff members who were helpful also and I enjoyed talking baseball with. 

Lots of fun to watch and cover baseball and summer and be a part of the program. 


No comments:

Post a Comment