Sunday, June 12, 2022

More on Warde baseball and other high school sports notes

This weekend ends the high school spring sports season, and with that, the high school sports year. 

I wrote yesterday about Warde's state championship win. What I wrote turned into more of a game story (no surprise), than my thoughts/reflection. 

I'm going to write some more about Warde baseball. I'm also going to write about other related items. 

I always get yelled at for being too much of a “Ludlowe guy,” even though I work in the Athletic Department in both schools. The last couple days I've been getting yelled at for supporting Warde/Warde baseball. I can’t win. I'm sure I will get complaints for writing this. 

It's honestly a weird relationship for me because of my love for not only Ludlowe, but specifically Ludlowe baseball. That being said, I love baseball in this town and this is a great Warde group. If it couldn't be us, I'm happy it is them. 

For whatever reason, this years Warde team seems to be one I have gotten to know better than others. Specifically, John Heitzman, Zach Broderick, Roman DiGiacomo and Jack Andrews, as well as others. 

There are additional guys who I've known previously from other aspects including having them as campers with Fairfield Parks & Rec camp or Legion baseball. 

Warde baseball had one of the best seasons you can have, winning both the FCIAC (league) and state championship. They finish with a 25-3 overall record. 

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So many teams dealt with off-the-field adversity this spring and really all year, including multiple teams in Fairfield. If we are being honest, the last few years have seen way too much tragedy locally. 

Part of sports is bonding together in the wake of tragedy and not that we want to see these tragedies happen at all, but there is something special to see how these teams and students bond together. These are not my stories to tell so that is why I am generalizing. Some of these stories have been made public, others have been more private. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shout out to all the fans at games this year, especially the student fans. It was an interesting year, especially in the winter, as there was a back-and-forth sequence of who was allowed at games or not. It was never empty gyms, but at some points only parents were allowed, then at other points it was only a percentage of capacity allowed and then at other points it was full capacity. It was also different per town, so parents, student fans and everyone else, had to be aware of what each school/town was doing at that point. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to everyone who won championships this weekend and all school year in all sports. Job well done by everyone and best of luck to all the graduating seniors.

On to summer sports and then the next school year will be here before we know it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment