Saturday, February 26, 2022

Basketball, Including a Record, and Hockey

Ludlowe's Cooper Dailey and team after setting single game scoring record. 

I had something similar to what I am going to write about planned, but the events of the day changed it somewhat. 

Today is FCIAC quarterfinal Saturday for boys basketball. Also known as "Super Saturday." It's the four quarterfinal games all at Fairfield Warde. It's always a fun day of basketball, one of my favorite days of the high school sports year. 

However, I had a decision to make. Ludlowe boys basketball was playing Maloney in the regular season finale as it was a makeup from a game that was postponed due to snow in January. 

Well, I did think briefly, but my loyalty to my Ludlowe guys won out. I was disappointed to miss the FCIAC games, but felt I should be at the Ludlowe season finale, as I'm around all season helping out. 

Well am I happy with my decision! 

Not only did Ludlowe win the game, but senior Cooper Dailey, in his final high school game, set a new school record with 38 points. The previous high was set by Kevin Bentivegna, who had 35 points against New Canaan as a senior during the 2010-2011 season. 

Dailey had 20 in the first half, just two in the third quarter, and then 16 in the fourth quarter. He was able to get to the rim and convert. A lot of that off the dribble, but some off of off-ball cuts to the hoop and great passes from his teammates. 

As I mentioned, this game was the senior finale for Ludlowe. Best of luck to the seven seniors, Cooper Dailey, Charlie Began, Matt Vivona, Lucca Iannone, Michael Loya, Stephen Keating and Ronny Labraciano, as well as senior manager Blake Kleinberg. Great kids who have bright futures ahead of them. 

In the FCIAC games, Westhill defeated St. Joe's and Wilton took down Danbury in the early games. In the nightcap, Warde edged Staples and Ridgefield beat Greenwich. 

Westhill will play Wilton in the FCIAC semifinals on Tuesday at 6pm at Wilton. Warde and Ridgefield will face off in the later game at Wilton at 7:45. The games can be seen on Local Live


My nightcap consisted of the Fairfield/Stamford FCIAC boys hockey quarterfinals. Fairfield won by a 4-1 score. 

The Mustangs got on the board first with a goal by Charlie Swanson. Stamford tied it up at one after the first period. Fairfield got a goal back in the second on a power-play goal by Noah Kingsly to take a 2-1 lead heading to the final period. The Mustangs added two insurance goals in the third, both by Matt Jankovsky. 

Fairfield will be back in action on Wednesday as they host New Canaan in the FCIAC semifinals at 7:30pm at Wonderland of Ice in Bridgeport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment