Saturday, March 5, 2022

Crazy Week of High School Sports

Seems like I've been blogging on weekends a lot. That's when I have the time, plus when I lot of games have been happened. I need to blog more about things other than high school sports, even though so much of my life is that. 

This was the end of a long week of games. I love weeks like this with lots of games, unfortunately, the end results weren't as good as we hoped. 

Yes, I still have the reporter in me, but as a member of the Ludlowe and Warde Athletic Departments and the co-advisor for The Nest, the Ludlowe student section, there is definite rooting interest for me. 

I had initially thought with the Ludlowe boys basketball season ending last weekend, my week would be lighter. Boy was I wrong. To be fair, some of it was just games I want to go to, but I also feel an obligation to others, for numerous reasons. 

Let's start with Tuesday, when the FCIAC boys basketball semis were held in Wilton. Warde was playing the second game of the doubleheader, so I went to that. Ridgefield defeated the Mustangs 67-59 6o advance to the FCIAC Championship. 

On Wednesday, the Fairfield Co-Op boys hockey team played New Canaan in the FCIAC semifinals at Wonderland of Ice. Fairfield defeated NC 7-0. The Mustangs would advance to play Ridgefield on Saturday in the FCIAC Championship. We'll get to that. 

Then, on Thursday, the Ludlowe girls basketball team played Wilton in the second round of the state tournament. It was Ludlowe's first state tournament game as they had a first round bye. The Falcons fell in overtime 41-37. 

Finally, to today. The FCIAC boys ice hockey championship. The game was held at the Danbury Ice Arena. It was a terrific game played by both teams, Fairfield and Ridgefield. Both goalies were tremendous, keeping the game scoreless through regulation. 

In OT, both teams had multiple chances to win before James Ahern scored with 2:08 left in the extra session to give the Tigers the FCIAC Championship. The Ridgefield goaltender, Henry Ertl had 37 saves in the win. For Fairfield, Tommy Adams was also terrific, with 25 saves. The season ends for Fairfield as they are not eligible for the state tournament. 

Great job by The Nest and The Stampede during the hockey game. The great thing about the hockey team being a co-op is that it's all about #OneTown. It's two rival schools coming together to support one team. Sure it takes away the rivalry, but I love the aspect of everyone pulling for the same team and the town in general. 


Oh and one more thing. Local Live is the official broadcast partner of the FCIAC and the EXCUSIVE home of the FCIAC Postseason. Interesting that others are allowed to broadcast, especially on video. 

It was a crazy week. I THINK next week will be quieter, but I'm sure things will come up. There are some more winter postseason performances to go, including Warde boys basketball in the state tournament, and then we get spring sports going soon. I can't wait for Ludlowe baseball and more. 







No comments:

Post a Comment