Saturday, October 21, 2023

Two Game Weekend

I know I said I wouldn't write about high school football every week, but here we are again. 

On Friday, I was asked to fill in and  do the scoreboard at Brien McMahon for their game with Warde as their usual scoreboard operator couldn't make it. 

Happy to help out McMahon Athletic Director John Cross as he needed someone to work and always good to pick up side gigs. 

Nice to work with cross country head coach Patrick Bradley, who was on the public address. Appreciate Patrick's help. It's always weird to work in a new spot and with new people, so his friendliness was very much appreciated. 

Whether it's Paul Piorek or Phil Simpson at Ludlowe, or Patrick Bradley on Friday, it's always great to work together with the PA announcer so we help each other and are in sync on down-and-distance and ball spot.  

It was a different controller than the one I used for football at Ludlowe, but one I've used for basketball in the past. That was good as I was somewhat familiar with it and just gave myself a quick tutorial before the game. 

Don't worry, I don't think I messed up the clock this week. It made it somewhat easier that the end of the third and all of the fourth quarter was running time, due to the score. 

As for the game, McMahon led from start to finish and came away with a 49-7 victory. 

It was good to see Warde play since I have not seen them yet this season. Often because their games conflict with Ludlowe and the home games specifically, where I am working the Ludlowe games. 

Saturday, I went to Darien to watch the Blue Wave take on Ludlowe. 


I was pretty sure some of "The Nest" (the Ludlowe student section) was going to come, so figured we'd need to watch them. Overall, they were pretty well behaved.  

I also always want to support my guys. Bunch of baseball, basketball and other players on the football team who I'm close with. I'll obviously support them all. 

Ludlowe took an early 7-0 lead on a touchdown catch by John Kleinbeck from Chris Bellentoni but after Darien tied it up and then took a 14-7 lead after one, they did not relinquish the lead. The Blue Wave defeated Ludlowe 34-21. On the defensive side of the ball for the Falcons, Ryan Torello came away with a well-played interception in the loss. 

On the scoreboard, not a great weekend for the two Fairfield teams. 

Warde falls to 0-6 and will host Bridgeport Central on Friday at 6pm. 

Ludlowe falls to 4-2 and will be back in action on Friday at home at 6pm vs McMahon. 

A couple added factors of this weekend were the weather and traffic, due to road work. Fortunately, at least for me, neither were bad at all. I worried all week about the traffic and alternate routes. Like usual, I worried for no reason. 

Another weekend down. Regular season for many fall sports (other than football) wrapping up and playoffs starting soon. We've got football until (at least) Thanksgiving. 

On to a new week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment