Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Halloween Memories

Holidays always bring memories. Some good, some bad. Some fun and others more serious. 

I have many Halloween memories from years ago. Are we sure I'm too old to trick-or-treat now? 

I won't bore you with all the memories and details, but definitely have a few thoughts. 

Years ago it was going with family friends across town and walking with them in their neighborhood. 

It was me, my dad and my brother (and I'm sure we did it before my brother was old enough) along with the three kids from our family friends and their dad. I'm pretty sure some years other friends of ours were also in the group with us. 

We'd have our Halloween buckets, and when they would get full, we'd put that candy in a larger bag (often a pillow case) so we'd have room for more.  

After we walked around the houses in their neighborhood, we'd go back to their house and sort, court and probably eat the candy. I remember dumping the candy out of the floor and then sorting it. 

There were many years for school that we had to sort and count our candy and then record the amount of candy and the different types of candy we got. The next day in school we'd have to turn all our information into pie charts, bar graphs, etc to demonstrate how those showed us information. 

They couldn't let us just enjoy the candy! 

Traditions change  and as we got older, my brother, dad and I started trick-or-treating around our neighborhood, sometimes with friends who lived nearby. We'd go around our couple loops and also up the block across the main road, where we knew we'd get the large candy bars. 

Then we'd walk down a block or two and loop back to our house. Some years in varied the path we took. 

People always debate how old kids are to trick-or-treat. I'm pretty sure I trick-or-treated through middle school. Then, freshman year of high school my friend/neighbor  and I hung out on his porch while his mom handed out candy. After that year, I think i realized I was too old to do anything. Other than eating candy, of course. 

I could write more memories, like Halloween in school and more, but I said I wouldn't bore you with all the memories. We all have our our memories. 

On that note, back to eating leftover candy.  


2023 at Warde 
2003 at Riverfield



No comments:

Post a Comment