Saturday, November 5, 2022

A Different Kind Of Football

I was asked to work a football game tonight. A different kind of football than what I am used to. Futbol. Soccer. 

Ole Football Club, CT, as is their name on their Instagram, played Santa Cruz out of Massachusetts in the UPSL New England Conference Final. 

The game was held at Warde High School and some of the coaches of Ole are Warde soccer coaches. They asked if someone could do the scoreboard, so I was asked if I wanted to do it. 

Sure, good opportunity for a number of reasons. 

Make some money and learn some things. Also, some responsibility. 

Before getting to the field, I honestly had no idea the age group of players. I was sort of thinking it was "men's league" team even though I knew it was associated with Ole. It turns out from seeing the game and looking at social media, it was college age athletes, or thereabout. 

I had to open up and close the press box. I also had to set up the scoreboard. I've done the scoreboard at Warde a couple of times before, but it was always set up for me beforehand. I had to set it up and get it all working, and then remind myself how to actually work it. A few minutes and I was good. 

I was also asked about announcing the starting lineups. Yeah, no chance. Sorry. Nobody would want that and there was no way I was going to be able to pronounce the names correctly. 

One thing with doing the scoreboard, for each half, I was told to stop the clock with two minutes left in the period and the rest of time time would be kept on the field. 

From what a couple of parents told me, it's so that the time can be exact and then they can add the stoppage time to each period where it's needed. This was weird for me, but it makes sense. It's just tough because nobody knows how much time is actually left in the period. I am sure if you understand soccer better than I do (not hard), you have a better understanding of this. 

It was a terrific game. 

It was nil-nil at halftime (look at me using soccer terms) before Ole scored in the second half to take the lead. Santa Cruz then scored with little time left to tie the game at one apiece. 

Santa Cruz came away with the victory in penalty kicks, after the game was tied at the end of 90 minutes of regulation and then two 15 minute overtime periods. 

Santa Cruz celebrates the victory

Look, I am not a huge soccer fan, but a love drama in sports and I can have an appreciation for great, hard fought sports action. That's what we watched tonight. Watching more high school soccer, I have come to understand it more, and that has helped me appreciate it more.  

Good game tonight. Good experience. 

1 comment: