Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Where Were You?

Where were you "when the world stopped turning" 23 years ago. 

September 11, 2001. 

The attacks on our country. 

The World Trade Center

The Pentagon

Shanksville, PA. 

The day the world changed. In so many ways. 

For people my age, it's the worst tragedy and biggest news story of our lifetime. 

This is what JFK's Assassination or Pearl Harbor, among other events are to those older than me. 

I tell this story ever year, but, like so many, we think about where we were when we heard the news. That is what happens with national or world news. 

Twenty-three years ago, I was in first grade at Riverfield Elementary School. 

We were in morning meeting in Ms. K's class when Mrs. Sue Breisler (who is now a colleague) came into the classroom to tell Ms. K what had happened. 

I don't remember what happened in the immediate aftermath, other than I presume there was some type of announcement made about us being dismissed from school early.  

The next thing I remember was getting dismissed and my dad, who worked in Farmington, CT, meeting my mom, brother and I at the school. From there, we went home. A very weird memory that doesn't matter at all, was being on the wooden playground (that was replaced shortly thereafter) in the school yard. 

I have a very vague memory of the rest of that day, or the days following. I have heard many stories and read and watched many items on the events of that Tuesday and the days and months following. 

On a day like today, I think of my extended family in Law Enforcement. 

I also think about my cousins, who lost their cousin, who was working in the North Tower of the Trade Centers. 

We remember all those who lost their lives that day and those who have passed away in the years since then, due to that day. We also think of all the family members impacted. 

It's about the First Responders and the regular citizens. 

Furthermore, I remember going to the Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, New Jersey in early 2002 and from the observation deck you could see across the Hudson River and see the blue tribute lights where the towers stood. This is a powerful image for me. 

We use the phrase, Never Forget, which honestly sounds cliche, but it's so true. We will never forget the memories of that day, and the people who were lost and the impact that day had. 

We remember

We honor

We Never Forget

No comments:

Post a Comment