Tuesday, April 16, 2024

April 16


Well, another birthday has come and gone (well, there are a few hours left as of starting this post). 

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, whether in person, text, email, Facebook post or over the phone. Some people I see every day, others I haven't seen in a while. All the wishes are appreciated. 

It was a low-key day and that is good. Saw some great people but others I would have liked to see I did not. That's okay. 

I used to feel like you had to do something big or special on your birthday and I didn't want it to be just a normal day. I probably liked my birthday too much. But I am realizing it doesn't need to be anything crazy. There are more important things in life and special days can be any day, for a number of reasons. 

So today. 

Work and baseball. Then we did go out to dinner. 

I think it's only the second or third time I've ever had school/work on my birthday as tends to fall over the schools April Vacation. 

In fourth grade (I think it was fourth) I had school on my birthday as we had so many snow days that we lost some of April Break. It's elementary school so I am pretty sure my dad came in and we had cupcakes or some other treat. I remember walking around the school to share the treats with certain teachers after my class got them. 

In college, I remember having class one year and going to a seminar (for extra credit) with a guest speaker. 

Work today was quiet with there being no school and people away, but very productive. 

Baseball practice was also productive. That's most important. The players also sang happy birthday which was embarrassing but appreciated. It's a special group of young men. I keep saying that but it's true. 

Dinner with the family was good. 

A good end to a low-key but good day. 

Thanks again to everyone. Onto tomorrow. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also talk about dates often and I have a weird memory of remembering certain dates, often of bad events, either personal/family or more public/national events. 

Well, with it being my birthday, April 16 is also known for an awful memory. It happens to be the Virgina Tech shooting in 2007. 

We remember all the lives lost, 32 of them, on this date. 


No comments:

Post a Comment