Saturday, August 26, 2023

Basketball and Music

Chuck's In London playing at PorchFest Black Rock 2023

Another summer of coaching Ludlowe JV summer league basketball came to an end on Friday night. 

We made it to the championship game, before falling to Stratford. 

The details of the game aren't relevant. It's summer league. 

It's a great group of kids who play really hard. Lots of talented athletes too.

I was beating myself up for some of my coaching moves (and non-moves) but the wins and loses don't really matter. I'm just extremely competitive and always want to win. 

It's about the kids getting to play together and hopefully they are getting better for tryouts and the season. 

Fall league is up next. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went over to Black Rock's PorchFest this afternoon. Per their Facebook page, PorchFests are the next big thing in summer festivals. Across the country, fun-loving communities are hosting PorchFests, grassroots music festivals in which residents hosts performers on their front porches for a fun-filled afternoon of music. 

We (me and my parents) went in large part because I knew that my friend (and fellow Ludlowe baseball coach) Tommy Howell and his band, Chucks in London, were playing. 

I wanted to go support Tommy and it was great to hear him play. It was also great to see so many people I know who were there to watch. Some who I haven't seen in years, and others I've seen recently. From guys my own age, and around my age, to parents of Ludlowe and Warde students, to others I know from many different parts of life. 

It's no surprise that I'm not a huge music person but it was a fun community event and even made me feel like I had somewhat of a life (outside of sports) for an hour or so. 

Maybe I need to get out from either my house or Ludlowe//Warde and other high school/youth sports more often. Not to say I don't have fun with Ludlowe/Warde and youth sports, but there can be more of a balance and not make my entire life work as much. 

I always say I know too many people and today was a good example of that. It was good to do something that wasn't sports related too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment