Sunday, October 13, 2024

Twitter vs Instagram

Everyone knows that I am on social media a lot. 

Specifically, Twitter (X), Instagram and Facebook. 

Staples High School baseball coach Jack McFarland even jokes that I invented Twitter. 

I use my personal accounts, as well as accounts for groups that I am involved with. 

A lot of what I post on my personal social media is high school sports related. 

For years, I have posted score updates on Twitter. Yes, I am still calling it that. 

Well, recently, in addition to Tweeting score updates, I have started posting score updates on my Instagram story 

I feel that this reaches a different, or at least a broader audience. It reaches the younger people, as well as parents who are on Instagram. 

Sometimes, I will just share my Tweet to my Instagram story, other times I will share a photo of the scoreboard, or a photo of the game and I will type the score on the photo/story. 

Often, I will just put the score, but sometimes, when I can, I will give who scored, or other statistics. I want to try to do better with that as it gives the athletes direct recognition. 

After a day of posting a lot of updates on Instagram recently, I put up a poll to see if I should continue. The response was a resounding, yes. 

I don't want to be annoying with it. So, I wanted to see what the reception was. 

Twitter has changed, and even before the change, I'd hear people say they were looking for score updates but were not on Twitter. For a long time, Twitter was the go-to spot to get local score updates. Now, it seems like there are fewer and fewer updates on Twitter. 

I'll keep posting on both, until told otherwise. 

It's also a way to be different and stand out from others. 

In terms of Facebook, sometimes I will post final scores, but more likely, people will get it from the blogs I post. Years ago, I would post in-game updates or at least final score updates on Facebook often. I remember posting in-game updates while watching the Little League World Series on TV years ago when Fairfield American was involved. Yeah, that may have been a little overboard on my end. 

Different ways to use the different platforms (or mediums). 

It some ways, it's about promoting ourselves and our "brand." More importantly, once again, it's about promoting the teams and athletes. 

Shameless related plug: Follow me on Instagram and Twitter @ShawnSailer for updates. 


No comments:

Post a Comment