Sunday, July 7, 2024

Babe Ruth Baseball Again!

Warmups prior to game one of the tournament on Saturday

It's another summer of baseball, and specifically Babe Ruth baseball, with Rob Adams on Robcasting Radio.  

We are through the first two days of the 13U double-elimination state tournament. 

The tournament features, Trumbull, Waterford, Easton, Ridgefield, Stamford, Nonnewaug and Wolcott. 

Trumbull and Waterford, in a Babe Ruth state tournament together. What a surprise. We will see these two teams square off tomorrow at 5:30pm in an elimination game.  

On Saturday we saw Stamford defeat Wolcott 15-6, Trumbull beat Nonnewaug 13-1 and then Easton edge Waterford 7-6. 

Today, we got our first look at Ridgefield, as they fell to Easton 17-7. Stamford then downed Trumbull 19-4. In the final game of the day, we saw Wolcott defeat Nonnewaug 6-2. 

It's great to see these teams like Trumbull, Waterford and even Stamford who we have seen in Babe Ruth tournaments before, but it's also fun to see new teams and towns. Even with the towns we have seen, it's a whole new group of players for all the teams. 

We have two more games tomorrow, and two on Tuesday. Then Wednesday there is a game, the championship is Thursday, with the championship game, if necessary, on Friday. Here's the full schedule and bracket

It's always great to work with the people of Trumbull and Babe Ruth in the booth. 

From Mike Buswell, who is the reason Rob (and then I guess myself) are there, to Bob Gerbert, and others from the Trumbull side. You've also got their kids and other family members who stop in and help out. I was having fun talking with Bob's son Jack and I talked to Mike's son Bryce as well at times over the two days. It's awesome that it becomes a family affair. 

Then there is Bob Wheway, Michael Menkes and others from CT Babe Ruth. 

It's getting to know other coaches, including Waterford's Lucas Beaney, who we know, as well as families and players. I say it every year, but that's what makes a lot of what we do so fun. We are doing it for the players and families. 

I just try to support Rob on the calls if I can. I do think I have gotten better, although I never consider myself a broadcaster. I know what I want to say, especially when it comes to baseball, it's just always getting with thoughts to words the right way. That's why I often stay quieter than I should. Rob and I joked about me taking over play-by-play for a stretch. That would not go well. 

Looking forward to getting back to it tomorrow. I'll join Rob as much as I can this week. I should be good for both games tomorrow and both games on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday I have duties with the Bridgeport Barnums and Friday I have a conflict as well. 

After that, Rob is doing Cal Ripken baseball in Oxford. We will see if I make an appearance at that. 

For now, it's on to tomorrow. 

By the way, I could write more on this, and I might at another time, but accurate, legible lineups are so important for many people for many reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment