Saturday, May 18, 2024

Just Watching

Christian Smith batting for QU vs FFLD U 

I go to a lot of games, especially locally. 

At those games, depending on where, what my role is and who I am with, I am often doing something. 

One thing I am not good at doing is just watching. I am not good at standing and watching a game and just being a fan. I'm written about this before in the middle of other posts. 

There is no chance I am going to sit in the stands and watch a game. At least not for a very long period of time. I'd much prefer if I am watching to be leaning up against a fence, where I can walk, or pace, back and forth, depending on who is around and how the game is going. 

I normally have to either be talking to people, keeping score*/taking notes, Tweeting, broadcasting, coaching, or doing something to keep me involved in the game. This might come off as selfish that I need to be involved, but it's not intended to be that way. It's just the way I am. I enjoy the busyness, even if it's sometimes crazy and chaotic. 

*At times when I am not keeping score via either a book or GameChanger, I definitely have a hard time keeping track of exactly what has happened. When there are games, I am not doing anything, I feel lost. Even coaching, when there are a few times, I didn't do the book, I felt like something was missing. 

Today I went to watch Fairfield University vs Quinnipiac baseball at Fairfield U's Don ’63 and Chris ’88 Cook Field. ** I went to watch former Ludlowe baseball standout Christian Smith, who plays for Quinnipiac. While I stood down the left field line and talked with Ludlowe head coach Ken Geriak, I felt like it was hard to stand there and watch. 

Christian went 2-5, including a home run. Unfortunately, I got there late and missed the home run. Also, on the Quinnipiac team is former Warde baseball standout John Heitzman. Two tremendous people.  

The Bobcats came from behind to defeat the Stags 9-7, scoring four runs in the top of the ninth, in the regular season finale.  

**Fairfield University's Alumni Field was recently re-named the Don ’63 and Chris ’88 Cook Field after former Fairfield University Athletic Director and Head Baseball Coach Don Cook and his sone, the late Chris Cook, who was a baseball student-athlete for the Stags. Chris passed away in 2014 from Cancer. Read more from the Fairfield University website here

I always try to find games to go to, most of the time high school or youth, but I should try to find more local college games to do to. Whether that be Fairfield U or Sacred Heart, especially considering SHU is my alma mater. I feel like part of the reason I don't go to more games where I am not involved in, is just because of my struggle to be a fan. 

There will be more games to go to. 

Some I will be involved. Other I won't. 

I'll just watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment